Vehicle maintenance issues are one of the many challenges facing transit providers across Missouri. From worker shortages to supply chain disruptions, transit agencies are forced to keep vehicles in service longer with fewer staff to maintain them. Evolving technologies, continuous training, and funding needs present additional elements to keeping fleets in good shape.
MPTA hosted a virtual round table discussion on Dec. 7, 2022 focused on vehicle maintenance challenges. Representatives from Central States Bus Sales, City Utilities of Springfield, JEFFTRAN, Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA), Metro Transit, Missouri Developmental Disabilities Council (MODDC), OATS Transit, and Radio Engineering Industries (REI) participated in the virtual discussion. The round table discussion topics included:
- High-level overview of the status of transit agency fleets and vehicle maintenance challenges
- Impact of retirements and labor shortages on maintenance staffing
- Procuring parts in the face of supply chain disruptions
- Maintenance challenges posed by fleet electrification
- Impact of state funding levels and internal budgeting on vehicle procurement and maintenance
- Preventative maintenance strategies
Questions or comments on this topic? Are there topics you’d like to see featured as part of MPTA’s Education Series? Reach out to Travis Wood, Sr. Program Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can revisit previous MPTA Virtual Education Series Events HERE.