The House has unveiled its multi-year reauthorization bill. The Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation in America (INVEST in America) Act is a 5-year, $494 billion investment to get existing infrastructure working again and fund new projects to create millions of jobs and support American manufacturing and ingenuity while reducing carbon pollution, dramatically improving safety, and spurring economic activity. The proposed bill includes $319 billion for highways and $105 billion for transit investments. In addition, there is $60 billion for rail investments.
Transit Investments Included: $105 Billion
- Increases funding for transit agencies to add new routes and provide more reliable service, encouraging viable public transit options and fewer single-occupant cars clogging highways.
- Creates a Mobility Innovation program to permit transit agencies to collaborate on mobility on demand services.
- Strengthens Buy America provisions to boost domestic jobs in rail and bus manufacturing.
- Increases investment in zero-emission buses to reduce carbon pollution.
- Streamlines project delivery by reforming the Capital Investment Grants program so that our investments get shovels in the ground quicker and commuters see results faster.
- Provides the investments needed to address the growing backlog of transit maintenance needs, making public transit safer and more reliable.